Thursday, December 4, 2008

Christmas Survey


I was tagged by Erica over at haphazardhappenstances for a "Deck the Halls" Christmas meme and apparently I have a lot to say on the subject so settle in... =)

Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate? Hot chocolate-especially gourmet kinds. I actually had my very first taste of Egg Nog this week-it was fresh from a local dairy and while I didn’t find it nasty, it’s not something I really care to ever taste again.

Does Santa wrap presents or set them under the tree? Santa doesn’t really visit our house-we wrap one present “from Santa” for each of the kids but they all know “Santa” is a pretend character by our design.

Colored lights on tree or white? Colored on the main tree but I do like having a small “decorator” tree somewhere in the house.

When do you put your decorations up? As soon as possible after Thanksgiving

What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)? This is a toughie for me-not sure I have a specific favorite. I love all the traditional dishes (minus the candied sweet potatoes) and I also love the finger food smorgasbord that Jeremy’s family does on Christmas day. It’s so fun to graze on dips and goodies ALL DAY LONG!

Favorite Holiday memory as a child: My Grandpa having all us grandchildren gathered around him as he read the Christmas Story from the Bible.

When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? My parents told us from the beginning that Santa wasn’t real but we always had one present from Santa under the tree. I’m glad they did it this way-I don’t feel deprived at all from not believing in Santa. As I see it, our children understand that God has blessed us to be able to provide gifts for them at Christmas and we hope that we are laying a foundation of true joy and appreciation in them.

Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? Yes-one small one each. Usually it is PJ’s or something else the kids can wear on Christmas morning.

How do you decorate your Christmas tree? By hanging each ornament on it’s own branch. =) We have a very eclectic selection of ornaments-most with special meanings from throughout the years. Each child gets a new ornament every year which coordinates with the stocking they’ve had since their first Christmas.

Snow! Love it or Dread it? Love it, Love it, Love it! Let it snow! In fact it is snowing here in Colorado right now!

Can you ice skate? I haven’t been in about 20+ years, so probably not. I’d much rather slide around on the ice in tennis shoes while playing “broom ball”!

Do you remember your favorite gift? I don’t know that I have one specific favorite gift-but finding out I was pregnant during Christmas week in 2000 (Dec. 18th), 2002 (Dec. 23rd) and 2004 (Dec. 24th) would each rank up at the top!

What’s the most important thing about the Holidays for you? Remembering our Savior’s amazing journey into our world and the incredible life and death He went through for us.

What is your favorite Holiday Dessert or snack? All of them! I especially love my mom’s toffee recipe and my friend Cristyn’s “White Christmas” candy

What is your favorite tradition? The reading of Luke chapter 2 on Christmas morning followed by singing a few Christmas carols with our extended family.

Which do you prefer, Giving or Receiving? LOVE both!

What is your favorite Christmas Song? This is another toughie—we are Christmas Music maniacs with over 70 Christmas CD’s in our collection. I guess I would have to say anything that my super talented hubby sings. I do have a Fav Album though-Avalon “Joy” – probably because Jeremy sang several of their songs in an amazing foursome at our church in Houston.

Candy Canes! Yuck or Yum? I like them ok and have maybe one a year but prefer the fruity kind rather than mint.

No comments: