Friday, May 1, 2009

The Sassy Talker

Nope, it's not one of the girls...this time anyway...

I have mentioned before that Jonah is the late talker of the group. He waited until he was almost two to say any words and now at 27 months is putting together 4-6 words sentences. Along with that, he's wasted no time in learning how to talk back. He has several phrases that he does this with but my favorite is, "yes, uh huh!" For example, yesterday at Aidan's game we were walking up a steep dirt hill to the playground and this is our conversation:

Jonah: It's muddy.
Me: No, it's just dirt. It's not muddy right now.
Jonah: Yes, uh huh! It's muddy, Mama!
(It definitely was not muddy.)

Another thing he picked up quickly is the answer of "nothing." One day I was upstairs getting ready for the day and heard a lot of noise coming from the kitchen. I peaked down the stairs and saw him rummaging in the silverware drawer. I called down the stairs, "Whatcha doing Jonah? He quickly turned around and without missing a beat said, "Nothing!" I wondered where he had picked that up from as I couldn't really recall the other kids saying it much. Then on Wednesday just he and I were in the car. I was getting a piece a gum and didn't want him to ask for a piece but apparently I wasn't as sneaky as I thought. As I'm unwrapping it I hear a "What you doing, Mama?" from behind me. And what was my quick response? "Nothing, Jonah." Busted on both counts-getting gum and lying! You would think that by my fourth child I would be better at watching my responses...

1 comment:

amycelene said...

UH-OH - Watch out - the boy has discovered words and he knows how to use them! At least it's good to know what's going on behind those knowing eyes of his!