Wednesday, August 18, 2010

The Reality Sets In

Aidan and Sarah started the new school year yesterday and it was a successful day for both of them.  Aidan is now in third grade and Sarah in first grade.  This is Sarah's first year of full day school and while she was super excited about finally getting to eat in the cafeteria and ride the bus both to and from school, she was a bit apprehensive about being away from me all day, stating she would miss me.  I have a feeling she's given me no thought throughout the day yesterday or so far today.  However, here is where the reality is for her right now:  Yesterday within minutes of arriving home at almost 4:00 p.m. she asked with much dramatic flare, "Mommy, can I watch a show? Because I'm ex-haust-ed!"   Then last night at bedtime, with a school career totaling 2 years and 1 day, I heard the words I never thought I'd hear from her:

Sarah: I don't want to go to school tomorrow. (with a big tired sigh)
Me: Why not?
Sarah: It's hard work! I got all hot and tired all day. 

This is from the girl who has loved school until this point.  In pre-K and Kindergarten she would actually cry if there was a day off school or she was sick and had to miss.  I know there is a world of difference between going to Kindergarten for less than three hours and 1st grade for 6.5 hours but I don't think Sarah was quite prepared for it.  I know she will adjust, but I'm expecting a very tired girl for the next couple weeks. 


On the flip side of this...after just a day and a half, I love having two of them in school all day!  I adore all four of my children and wouldn't trade the "bustle" of having a big family for anything, but things are so much easier with only two at home--especially Katie and Jonah.  They are self proclaimed best friends and play wonderfully together.  Not to mention they are fabulous "shoppers."  Truly the worst part of summer is grocery shopping and errands in general with four kids in tow.  I would do whatever I could to avoid taking all four of them with me this summer, but for the most part, it was unavoidable.  I loathed heading out with all four of them to do my stuff...  However, both yesterday and today, Katie, Jonah and I have run errands and it's been, dare I say, blissful in comparision! 

Katie will be starting pre-K in three weeks which means it will be just Jonah and I for three mornings a week.  I wonder if we'll even know what to do with ourselves during that time?  I'm definitely looking forward to one on one time with Jonah and errands with only ONE child-I can't begin to imagine what that will be like!  

No comments: