Monday, June 29, 2009

Ready, set, read!

So, poor Aidan's baseball post keeps getting pushed back, but I couldn't wait to share this news!

Sarah has made several attempts over the past few months at reading but I could tell each time that she just wasn't ready. She didn't have that determination and perseverance to work at it. I've also figured it could still be a while before she grasps reading because she doesn't always recognize all her lower case letters and writes quite a few of them backwards.

Today we were getting ready to leave the house and she brought a book to me while I was doing my hair and said, "I want to read this." It wasn't really an "easy" reader but I didn't discourage her. Before I knew it she has sounded out the first line of words. She tried a few more words which were a bit challenging, and she didn't get frustrated, but decided to look for something easier. This afternoon we pulled out a "Read with Dick and Jane" book, which we borrowed from Grma Peggy's house in March. She read through 22 pages of it, with several lines on each page.

So, we have another reader in our house before starting Kindergarten! Go Sarah!

2 comments:

FitzandMolly said...

yay! congrats to the Craft smarties!

TheChappelFamily said...

Yeah, Sarah! I love teaching kids to read. Logan knows quite a few sight words, but hasn't mastered "reading" just yet. However, he's doing 1st grade math. Amazing! He picked it up last year when I would work with Will on math. Isn't it so wonderful to watch your children learn??!!

Thank you for your prayers for us. I had no idea just how hard this would be or how awesome God would work through it all. I need to post some more. I was getting far behind, so did some basic updates. It truly helps to know I have a sister in Colorado praying! Love you!